Australian Greens spokesperson for health, Senator Richard Di Natale successfully moved a motion for a Senate inquiry into out-of-pocket costs in Australian healthcare.
The terms of reference are as follows:
- the current and future trends in out-of-pocket expenditure by Australian health consumers;
- the impact of co-payments on:
- consumers’ ability to access health care, and
- health outcomes and costs;
- the effects of co-payments on other parts of the health system;
- the implications for the ongoing sustainability of the health system;
- key areas of expenditure, including pharmaceuticals, primary care visits, medical devices or supplies, and dental care;
- the role of private health insurance;
- the appropriateness and effectiveness of safety nets and other offsets;
- market drivers for costs in the Australian healthcare system; and
- any other related matter.